Saturday, March 6, 2010

Earnest Prayer


My father's middle name is Earnest. It is not a common name but for me his name keeps the word alive. The Oxford Dictionary defines it as, "sincere and very serious," and to do something 'in earnest,' is to do it "to a greater extent, or more intensely than before."

Lent is a time for us to be in earnest prayer. This means intentionally devoting more time to prayer, and not allowing our prayers to be any less than focused and sincere.

To this, all I can say is LORD have mercy, and give me strength.
Brian+

“Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.

Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy.

Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy.

Guard me, O Holy Spirit, that I myself may always be holy.”


- Blessed Augustine of Hippo

No comments:

Post a Comment