Thursday, March 11, 2010

Big Words

Sometimes I hear of people saying, "Your God is too small." I even think that there is a book written with that title. One of the consequences of individualism is that most everything becomes too small, but this is especially true of the words of faith. Individualism causes me to say things like, my God, my faith, my hope, my joy, etc. Jesus illustrated in one of His many parables that the faithful steward enters into the Joy of the Master. In our walk with Christ we are to enter into His life, thus we are to enter into His joy, His hope, His faith, His grace, His humility, His prayer, etc. Belief in the LORD forces me out of individualism into the heavenly world of koinonia, which is holy and intimate fellowship with the LORD, and each other.

In this divine fellowship, faith is not mine but ours; hope is not mine but ours, grace is not mine but ours; joy is not mine but ours. Suddenly I am not alone in the works of faith, hope, joy, love, etc. The 'words' are more than mine, and just in me, but they are truly in me, and you, encompassing my whole life, and yours, and the eternity of God's will for all generations. When I see the words of our faith in this way I realize I am never alone: God is with me, the saints past and present are with me, and you in Christ are with me - and I with you.

FAITH, HOPE, JOY, LOVE


All makes me want to pray and proclam the great doxology that we say in the BAS after receiving the Body and Blood of OUR Saviour...

Glory to God,
whose power, working in us,
can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine.
Glory to God from generation to generation,
in the Church and in Christ Jesus,
for ever and ever. Amen.

LORD have mercy, Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment