Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Decay of Identity

The more I learn about the riches of liturgical Christianity, the more I lament the loss of Common worship and Identity. I see an ever increasing congregationalist attitude among clergy and bishops. It is as if we are embarrassed about our traditions and our past. We must be new and ever changing because 'change is good and inevitable." More and more we are sucked in by our egos and fallen desires. In the recent Bishop's Charge at our Synod the bishop mentioned the lament of many in the House of Bishops about the loss of Common Worship. I have said it before and I'll say it again, "The only thing boring about our liturgical worship, is my fallen heart and desires."

I saw this today in a post regarding the Book of Common Prayer from the Rectors Corner HERE

"Many ancient liturgical innovations failed; many new forms of worship tell us more about ourselves than they do about God. Often, the more “relevant” we seek to be, the more dated and shallow we become. The notion of a shared identity starts to look much more valuable when amnesia becomes more common amongst us than does anamnesis."


LORD have mercy, Brian+

No comments:

Post a Comment