Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yielding to Christ

Some thoughts from John Stott’s book, Basic Christianity

If then you suffer from moral anaemia, take my advise and steer clear of Christianity. If you want to live a life of easy-going self-indulgence, whatever you do, do not become a Christian. BUT if you want a life of self-discovery, deeply satisfying to the nature God has given you; if you want a life of adventure in which you have the privilege of serving Him and your fellow men; if you want a life in which to express something of the overwhelming gratitude you are beginning to feel for Him who died for you, then I would urge you to yield your life, without reserve and without delay, to your Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Your call is clear, cold centuries across;
You bid me follow you, and take my cross,
And daily lose myself, myself deny,
And stern against myself shout ‘Crucify.’

My stubborn nature rises to rebel
Against your call. Proud choruses of hell
Unite to magnify my restless hate
Of servitude, lest I capitulate.

The world, to see my cross, would pause and jeer
I have no choice, but still to persevere
To save myself - and follow you from far,
More slow than Magi - for I have no star.

And yet you call me still. Your Cross
Ellipses mine, transforms the bitter loss
I thought that I would suffer if I came
To you - into immeasurable gain.

I kneel before you, Jesus, crucified,
My cross is shouldered and my self denied;
I’ll follow daily, closely, not refuse
For love of you and man to lose.

Brian+

No comments:

Post a Comment